Monday, December 3, 2012

Elder Costa

 Just got back from a meeting with an Area Authority. Elder Costa, who speaks English pretty well, left some dynamic stuff with us. He talked to the leaders - DLs and ZLs - first, leaving us with a vision of responsibility and being an example.

E. Costa also talked about several things, but the entire time it was a real joy. He reviewed many things from PMG. He also traded once with his wife, because he felt impressed to let her speak - and she's a very powerful speaker too - but man! It was all good. He told us right at the beginning that what he would say for the next 4 hours (8-12) was to be led by the Spirit. And he did. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez he said a lot of stuff.

I learned the most, though, about testimony. Sister Costa is interesting, because she spoke from the point of view of a mother. Everything she said she took from the point of view of our moms - she surveyed a little bit how many first-generation missionaries were in the crowd, how many had mothers that weren't members. She told us that our mums love us and want us to be successful, even if they aren't members - because mothers see things in terms of potential, not the scoundrel that might be at the moment.

She also said that the testimony is what we needed most to develop, because it's supposedly like a "raio de luar", or ray of moonlight: you have to be careful to maintain it! Oliver Cowdery was the example that she used of a man who didn't seek to augment his testimony every day. Remember church history, anyone? Looking at you, Dad. ;)

When Elder Costa returned, he talked further about faith and relying on the Spirit, citing some very powerful anecdotes that occurred while he was mission president in Manaus. In the end, when bore his testimony, he talked about the First Vision. He said, "Sei que Joseph Smith viu um pilar de luz, em que se apresentaram Deus, o Pai Celestial, e o Salvador Jesus Cristo. Eu conheço essa luz. Conheço-a muito bem."

Rather strange, huh?

It's a good thing that this meeting happened today, because it shall be the bulk of my post this week. It's always really edifying to have a meeting with the leadership. :D In other news, I've discovered that I feel the Spirit more when I read the scriptures in Portuguese - I struggle just a little more to understand (though not much!), and I get that much better comprehension because I'm reading and understanding something through Portuguese.

Another lesson of Dad's that's acquiring a new meaning is also about responsibility. For some reason everywhere I've gone this week there have been comments and citations about responsability, in completely random places - I think God's wanting me to study about it or something. But as I turn my thoughts to it, it's helping me to think about acting in a hierarchial manner in more parts of my life. I've grown to like a hierarchy that the mission has, because it's definite and useful. Reminds me of a computer, if you think about it.

Also had a random thought that a member pointed out the other day. Tennis and golf. They're not poor-man sports! A member was complaining that to play them you have to buy equipment, and find a spot to play, and pay for everything all the while...I never really noticed it before. But it's true, huh? Guess it'd be the same for racquetball. o_0

Anyway. Time's a-flyin'...and I need to wrap this up. Just in time, too - just got my usual demands of LETTERS. Never forget to write the Goob! He loves every single letter he gets, and they're lovingly preserved in a special case that he made. Just remember that the loyal shall have their just rewards!

Aaaand...tchau, gente. :)

-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home