Monday, December 24, 2012

Contacts

Heh, everybody keeps asking me where my glasses are. I think I may put 'em back in during the big meetings, just so everybody recognizes me. But nah - the contacts stay, unless I want to look super professional. It reminds me of when Dad used/didn't use his glasses.

Here in Maceió people from Portugal are mythic. They almost don't exist. :P European Portuguese is considered a different language than Brazilian Portuguese, though they're similar enough that I think with much effort two speakers of the languages could communicate. The main difference is the accent, though there's a lot of words that exist in the other but have completely different meanings. For instance, a notable swap are the words "bicha" ("bee-shah") and "fila" ("fee-lah"). "Bicha" in the Portuguese I know means "faggot", and "fila" means "line (of people)". But in European Portuguese it's the reverse. Can you imagine the funny mixups that would happen without knowing about the other language that's so similar? It's a small landmine.

I have certain parts of my accent that are from Maceío, though some Brazilians consider them generic variations and not an indication of where I learned Portuguese. There's plenty of spots where I use the Maceiense accent, but I can correct them if I consciously exercise my tongue. It's just a matter of habit to me at this point. But yeah. You have a completely bilingual son now. Whaddya think about that? Tell the sister from Minas Gerais that she'll probably have some long conversations in Portuguese when I get back - I don't ever want to lose this language.

Actually...that's something I've been thinking about this last week. Portuguese has a special place in my heart because so many of the spiritual insights I've had were by means of Portuguese. Many things I've learned here were done by and for the Brazilian members here who really aren't that much different from the Americans. Really, another language is just another method of thinking, exactly like the programming languages I learned in my time before the misison. It's really cool being "bilingüe", especially when I meet others like me.

I think I'm kind of like...a snowball with the things I learn. I don't want to let go of the hobbies, interests, and talents I've developed in my life. I know I won't be able to develop every single one to my liking (because I'm a perfectionist!), but that's exactly like what I feel like I should do. I still want to maintain the piano, longboarding, programming, gaming, teaching, gospel study, reading, and all the other stuff I've taken interest in. Quite a full plate, considering it's just gonna get bigger. I'll probably have to do what Dad did - leave a few hobbies to have time for the important stuff. But right now, I'm being optimistic.

I've also been thinking about how many organizational habits I had have also changed to fit my new situation. Up until I got into the office, I wrote exclusively in 4-color pen so I could reread everything easily afterwards. It was a really developed system. But then it all went out the window, because everything I do doesn't have that same complexity that I found in missionary work. It's not less complicated, actually, just...nearly impossible in limited experience to develop a system outside of "This is a task. DO IT!".
I'm really grateful for the awesome tripanionship that we've got right now. After two transfers of training and another two transfers of me doing everything, I recognize now the blessing of having a companion with talents in application. It's so easy when your companion just...does stuff. Now that I have two, the missionary work part of my mission is fairly easy. I was worried how a three-way teaching scenario would go, but from the handful of lessons we've already taught we have a certain system worked out. I love the insights my companions have, and their constant focus on the work in the office and in the field. They're really experienced, and I'm learning from them despite the lack of time we have to talk and teach sometimes. At least we're getting our studies in every day!

I also completed my goal for exercise this week: every day but Sunday! And man. I'm feeling way healthier. I'm not hiking 6 miles every day now, but volleyball was still easier than it was in previous weeks. Testimony in a cup!

Yeah. That's about it. Don't forget to WRITE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

-Erich





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home