Monday, August 20, 2012

Erich and Elder Acevedo


Mom says:

Erich is training.  He’s being patient, I’d say.  Here’s how it’s going so far.



Erich says:

**siiiiigh** This whole week has been spent figuring out how to get my companion to talk more. He's not an extremely social guy in the same respect I am - he likes to joke and jock around, and I'm slowly figuring out how to make the mission as exciting as he deserves. He and the new Bolivian DL here, like to play pranks a lot - I usually end up receiving them, since I usually take them in good humor.



It's kind of interesting to note that in this mission, we are disappointed if we don't baptize in a single transfer - but I know that it's much more difficult to keep people firm here - people move quite often, to the point where it often becomes a point of conversation to discuss the various places in Maceió the investigator has lived. It's kind of weird. I don't think I'd like moving around willynilly - but then again, if I live in the US, I generally don't want to have to mess with real estate unless I have to, huh?



Changing the subject, we had fetching ZONE CONFEREEEEENCE. I love meetings so much now. I just feel so awesome whenever I have the opportunity to see my leaders and fellow missionaries...we've just got this brotherhood feeling going. I love it. I can see why a lot of people miss the mission - I won't be able to hug random people and talk openly with them after my mission just because they're computer engineers! I love our being unified in purpose - it makes things so much more...fulfilling? I hope I have more dudefriends like this when I get home. Technically I DID have a few. Just gotta keep my relationships alive with 'em!



This last week we scheduled a bunch of activities that I targeted towards the youth. As E. Acevedo is Mexican, he's in the perfect position to alternating teaching languages with me. We've got classes for English and Spanish now! I think the youth really like it - I just am wondering how I could possibly make it better. It's hard to know what to do without feedback...I've been reading some teaching manuals from the Church to help me with my technique. We've also been trying to get an activity started that's, roughly translated, called the MMTC - "Member Missionary Training Center"! We're helping the members feel more practiced with inviting somebody to receive the missionaries and/or go to church. I'm liking it a lot, but I need to plan out a little better what exactly I'm going to teach. Next time will be better!



Last thing I want to mention is "por que" vs. "para que", a concept by President which I really though was neat. "por que" literally means "why" or "because" - but "para que" means "so that, to the end that". When we ask ourselves about our surroundings and our situation, it's better to ask "para que" instead of "por que" - because it's much more important to know how they serve our purpose and what needs to be changed to serve it, rather than understanding the reasons something is the way it is. Forward is the direction we must look, not backward!



Anyway. Time's a-tickin'. Gotta run, but I love y'all!. Take care!



-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home