Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Samuel's Baptism

Howdy y'all! I'm souped up on painkillers and some cold medicine, and right now I'm happy as can be. Know why?
Because there was another baptism. :D


Actually...this baptism was from LAST week. I just passed so much time ranting about ideal missionary work that I didn't have time to include it. Check out Samuel, the newest member of the Gurguri Ward!

He's a pretty scripturally adept guy. He studies the Bible like none other. You say a scripture, and he tells you where it is. You ask him to explain something, and he gives you more than just the answer, he explains everything: the background, the stories of the people involved, and generally he involves the original Hebrew to clarify semantics. He's the kind of guy that'd make a perfect missionary, for many reason...mainly due to his excitement to serve a mission and his natural ability to help others understand what the scriptures really say. He wants to serve in the US, so he can learn another language, study in BYU...he took off with the "Mormon Dream", as I've heard some call it. And the funny part was that he took a whole year to decide to be baptized. He gave the Church a grand sweeping analysis in thetime he investigated, and he started completely against the Church. He's an example of the miracle of conversion to the Good News. And he also does splits with us every day! So yeah. An excellent asset to God's army. This last week there was a normal transfer. As I suspected, E. Bispo went on to train...in the same house. So I got a new comp! His name's E. Ferreira - he's part of the group of arrivals that I left hanging at the airport back in February. He's a really interesting fellow from Joinville, Santa Catarina - a state in the southern part of Brazil. Another Southern Brazilian who loves meat! Feeeetch yeah. He's a really chill guy, very intelligent and determined to do his part. Very proactive, and very eligible to train...I think I already know how the next transfer's gonna go down. But we'll see if my speculations hold water soon. For now, we're just gonna keep on grinding;.


After the training, a few really excited members stepped up to the plate and asked to participate in the missionary work. We've got two more activities in the ward mix now, and the second will be a special missionary seminar with Pres. Gonzaga. We've already got all the green lights...so I'm really hoping to get this ward rolling soon. We've gotten almost a dozen references just this week, and the next is looking bright. We've found some interesting people, and I'm praying hard that we get fruit here soon.
missionary work. We've got two more activities in the ward mix now, and the second will be a special missionary seminar with Pres. Gonzaga. We've already got all the green lights...so I'm really hoping to get this ward rolling soon. We've gotten almost a dozen references just this week, and the next is looking bright. We've found some interesting people, and I'm praying hard that we get fruit here soon.
The scripture I'd like to share this week is Alma 48:17-20. This has become one of my favorite scriptures. Do we want to serve as well as Moroni did as he worked himself hard to bring liberty to his people? Then consider missionary work, in what's described as "...no less serviceable unto the people than was Moroni; for they did preach the word of God, and they did baptize unto repentance all menwhosoever would hearken unto their words." We can give the same service, but to others in places we might never have visited otherwise. In short...a mission is one of the best things we can do, something that lets us be a man of God as Moroni was.
Heh. That wasn't to toot my own horn...but to encourage all those thinking of serving a mission to go and serve one. I love my mission. I love being part of the mission's programs, which involves working with other missionaries, great examples of God's people, and helping them to help others. I truly love the time I've spent here in Brazil...I've gained more than just a few valuable lessons and skills from it. And there's still time to learn and grow! I'm trying to cram it all in as much as I can...struggling to help others into the water and out of the darkness!
Anyway. We're gonna get the baptismal font cranking here in a few weeks, I think. My plan is to make this ward the best area I've passed in yet. I'm excited also because...well, next week, I shouldn't have to pop painkillers just to get out of the house. ;) Don't forget to write me, y'all! I love you, and think about y'all right before I hit the sack after the race is run for the day.

-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home