Monday, October 28, 2013

Yeeha! No transfer! I'm going to die here!

Well, gang, I'm a little more in the know about the future.
 Transfer is gonna happen tomorrow...and I wasn't transferred! There's only one more left, so that means....oh, fetch, I'm gonna "die" here in Lagarto! Whoo! And E. Ralph is indeed my last companion, given that no emergency transfer comes and sideswipes us. I'm so excited!!! All the couples and families we've been busting our buns to teach...and another month to teach them (and hopefully finally get them IN THE WATER!)
 E. Figgins, who passed his last transfer, went home yesterday...we're sad to see him go, but I'm sure he'll be getting a well-deserved rest. E. Christensen, the DL of Lagarto/Itabaiana who lives with us, is in a tripanionship with us, and to resolve the logistical complications of the transfer we're going to be doing some interesting things with bus transfers. There were a LOT of people transferred from the zone. Ugggghhhh....hey I likely know everybody that'll be coming here, except for the newbies.
 I'm learning more about patience and love this last week. We're walking in a LOT of far-off places. We've gotten some really good referrals from the members, and they've been large families. We've got 2 couples, and a family of 4 young women. The greatest problem we face with them is transport - they all live at least 30 minutes away from the chapel (in different directions!). The only people that have cars here are...well, the branch president and his wife. We're working to find solutions, and I hope that our investigators' faith grows to the point that they will be able to resolve it. They're all very special to us, and very well-integrated with the members. 
 Ai ai ai...E. Ralph and I are happy. There's tons of work to do, as always. We've been praying and working hard, so we hope to have everything done the Lord's way.


E. Figgins giving a last high-five to the famous "Opa-tanana!" lunch. I'll have to explain that one later. :P
 I'm continuing to learn about the importance of family commitment. I'm deepening my understand of just how tightly knit goals, prayer, and faith are. They're things we need to renew constantly, so that we can focus our attention and not let distractions get in the way of our progress. It's been useful to me personally, and has helped me to understand what an individual needs so that they can develop their own faith. I'll borrow a quote from a friend of mine who's also on the mission, who sums up nicely one of the difficulties of missionary work in regards to this:
 Recently I've been noticing one of the hardest things is not to work hard, but to do so and also to follow the spirit 
 -Elder D. Harral
 One of my favorite passages, in which Joseph Smith gets a rather rough rebuking, refers to the importance of having His direction in our work. 
 For thou hast suffered the counsel of thy adirector to be trampled upon from the beginning. 
 15 For thou hast suffered the counsel of thy adirector to be trampled upon from the beginning. 
 This applies not only in our work as missionaries, but in all things that we do. We need to make goals based on prayer, strive to complete them, and have faith that we are doing the right thing. We also need to have faith that the Lord will correct us as we strive to do what is right, and be willing to change what exactly we think is "the right path". Sometimes our vision of success or what He wants us to do isn't exactly what we think it is. A hope in His work will allow us to be patient when things don't seem to be going as He wishes, or as He expects of us, and will guide us to seek improvements calmly and without becoming frustrated. Something I need to work on...but I feel like I'm doing better now. :D
 Know that I'm happy, healthy, and anxious to live life to its fullest more than ever. I love you guys! I hope you're all firm and strong, and that you're enjoying yourself. Did you know Matt Peterson got his call to Kansas? Good on you, Matt!! 
 Don't forget to write!
 With love,

-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home