Monday, March 24, 2014

Catching What's Precious/Pescar o Precioso

Dear friends,

Well, during the last two weeks a lot has happened. There was Spring Break, but I didn't rest! I simply changed what I was doing. I still studied (for the first few days), and then I went to go hunt myself a job. It looks I got it! The funny part is that the job offer was unexpected. They asked me for an interview when I went to go ask an old friend for a character reference! The cool part is that it probably would be a lot better than the other options I sent an application to, so I'm feeling pretty lucky. I'll divulge more details after accepting the job and learning them for myself. For now, I'm really excited!

I love the time I've devoted to learn and grow. I'm learning precious things, and I still write in my journal. In fact, I feel certain mental, emotional, spiritual benefits when I record what happens. I am very happy that I've a record of almost everything that happened on my mission. It's amazing the things I've "learned" but I learn when I read again when go back to relive some good memories. I consider keeping this blog part of my studies to a certain extent. In fact, the system I developed is interesting. I'll share with those of you that may have not heard of it before - I think I already explained while I was on my mission, but there's been many contacts made since then!

So. The method of recording happenstance is simple but time consuming. Here it is below!
  1. Daily (Large Plates) - I write daily "plates", which ranges in content. Generally it's best to write every day, but don't ever let that prevent sleep. If you're having trouble finding regular time, treat it as an appointment. I have a big mission journal where I still write this, but there's just one more page to go before I have to find another journal!
  2. Weekly (The Epistles) - I like to write a weekly story for review and refine what I've learned. It's very useful! I do this blog for my weekly record. If I don't post, it's because of lack of discipline. Rarely is it because I don't have time... but that applies to everything!
  3. Monthly (Small Plates) - These "plates" are the coolest. I keep a list of the main lessons I learned during the month, and make a summary such that is almost to a future self. I feel that these cards have the closest quality to spiritually instructive plates.
"Plates" are the best place to store our records. Also, I'm beginning to think that what we record on the plates are essential for repentance and measure our progress in it. When Christ instituted the sacrament, He indicated that it was to remember Him, which is what brings the Spirit. In the prayers of bread and water, you notice that partaking is for remembering Him, and THAT is so we can have His Spirit with us. Compare with James 1:22-24:
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
I am fully convinced that the way not to "straightway [forget] what manner of man [we were]" is precisely what a journal is, and also the goals that often revised. When we're thinking about and what it was like to change, we stop with just contemplating ourselves, but continuing to be doers and not just hearers.

Now, I'll connect the above with some contributions from several people to my studies during the week. Thanks to Sister Karly Sink for contributing something valuable to my studies with an analysis of Peter: Luke 5. The fishermen certainly were humiliated here, but I thought about some things when I read it. Peter was tested as a fisherman, as we will be tested with what we have/are now. Journals are like our nets. We can even detect and admire the precious lesson that fish are around us, but if we don't catch and hold onto them we'll miss them and waste our limited time (3 Nephi 24:16)! We can't just ask Heavenly Father for something, and expect Him to fill our nets. We must be striving to receive what He certainly wants to give us. A good example is Hymn 220, "Lord, I Would Follow Thee". How would we answer questions or teach this hymn without making an effort, and tiring ourselves in prayer and following up to receive the answer?

One last thing I want to leave y'all with is a talk that a friend of mine reminded me of. I think it's super important to understand how to collect and store personal revelation, not only the to-do's and to-not-do's. It focuses especially on the delicate nature of the Spirit and how can we eliminate certain things that prevent us from receiving inspiration from Him for our life. This actually has to do with recording my plates...heheheh. Talk: How To Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life, by E. Scott

Well, folks, that's it for now! I hope y'all're well! I learned many other things, but I'll have to make more time next week for it to fit. Always wear yourselves out following what Heavenly Father has already revealed to you, keeping each lesson and trying to do the best you can! Pray, study, write in your journal... and more importantly, make goals with them and follow 'em up.

Your loving friend,

-Erich
Caros amigos,

Bom, durante as últimas duas semanas muito tem acontecido. Houve o Spring Break, que é um feriado para descansar da faculdade comum aqui, embora não se implemente em todas as faculdades (por exemplo, a BYU). Porém, não descansei! Eu simplesmente mudei de tipo de atividade. Ainda estudei (pelos primeiros dias), e aí fui caçar um emprego para mim. Parece que tenha conseguido! O engraçado é que esta oferta de emprego foi inesperada. Foi-me pedido uma entrevista porque estava ligando para um amigo antigo para pedir ele ser minha referência de caráter! O legal é que provavelmente será muito melhor que as outras opções a que mandei aplicação, então me sinto muito sortudo mesmo. Vou divulgar mais detalhes após aceitar o emprego e aprendê-los mais por mim mesmo. Por enquanto, estou animado demais!

Eu adoro o tempo que tenho dedicado para aprender e crescer. Estou aprendendo coisas preciosas, e ainda escrevo no meu diário. Na verdade, eu sinto certo benefício mental, emocional, espiritual quando registro o que acontece. Sou muito feliz que tenho um registro de quase tudo que aconteceu na minha missão. É incrível as coisas que já "aprendi" mas que aprendo novamente quando leio, quando volver para reviver umas memórias boas. Considero manter este blog parte dos meus estudos, até certo ponto. Na verdade, é interessante o sistema que desenvolvi. Quero compartilhar com vocês que não ouviram antes - acho que já expliquei enquanto estava na missão, mas tem muitos contatos desde aí que não tinha antes!

Então. O método de registrar os acontecimentos é simples, mas consome tempo. Ei-lo embaixo!
  1. Diário (As Placas Grandes) - Escrevo placas diárias, que varia em conteúdo. Geralmente o melhor é escrever a cada dia, mas nunca deixar que impeça o dormir. Se tá tendo dificuldade de achar horário regular, trate como um compromisso. Eu tenho os diários grandes da missão em que ainda escrevo isto, mas tenho só mais uma página antes que eu tenha que achar outro diário!
  2. Semanal (As Epístolas) - Gosto de escrever uma história semanal para revisar e refinar o que acho ter aprendido. É muito útil! Faço este blog de meu registro semanal. Se não postar, é por causa de falta de disciplina. Raramente é porque não tenho tempo mesmo...mas isto se aplica a tudo!
  3. Mensal (As Placas Pequenas) - Estas placas são as mais legais. Mantenho uma lista das lições principais que aprendi durante o mês, e faço um resumo de uma forma que é quase para um futuro eu. Eu me sinto que estas placas mais se aproximem de qualidade de placas espiritualmente instrutivas.

Placas são o melhor lugar de guardar nossos registros. Também, estou começando a pensar que as placas que gravamos são essenciais para arrependimento e medir nosso progresso nele. Quando Cristo instituiu o sacramento, Ele indicou que foi o lembrar mesmo Dele que traz o Espírito. Nas orações do pão e da água, se percebe que o comer é para nos lembrar Dele, e ISSO é para termos o Seu Espírito conosco. Compare com Tiago 1:22-24::
22 E sede cumpridores da palavra e não somente ouvintes, enganando-vos a vós mesmos.
23 Pois se alguém é ouvinte da palavra e não cumpridor, é semelhante a um homem que contempla no espelho o seu rosto natural;
24 porque se contempla a si mesmo e vai-se, e logo se esquece de como era.
Estou plenamente convencido que a maneira que não "logo [esquecemos] de como [éramos]" é justamente o diário, e também as metas que revisamos frequentemente. Quando nós estivermos pensando em que era e o que gostaríamos de mudar, nós podemos não só parar com nos comtemplarmos mesmos, mas continuarmos a ser cumpridores e nem só ouvintes.

Agora, vou ligar o de cima com alguma contribuições de várias pessoas aos estudos durante a semana. Obrigado à Sister Karly Sink por contribuir algo valoroso para meus estudos também, em análise de Pedro: Os pequeiros de Lucas 5 certamente foram humilhados aqui, mas fiquei pensando em algumas coisas quando li isso. Pedro foi testado em sua posição de pesqueiro, assim como vamos ser testados com o que temos agora. Diários são como as nossas redes. Podemos até detectar e admirar os preciosos peixes de lição que estão ao nosso redor, mas se não os apanharmos e segurarmos vamos perdê-los e gastar nosso tempo limitado (3 Néfi 24:16)! Não podemos só pedir a Pai Celestial algo, e esperar que Ele encha as nossas redes. Temos que estar nos esforçando para receber o que Ele certamente quer nos dar. Um bom exempĺo é o Hino 134, "Sim, Eu Te Seguirei". Como poderíamos responder ou ensinar as perguntas feitas neste hino sem nos esforçar, e nos gastarmos em orar e acompanhar para receber a resposta?

Uma última coisa que quero deixar com vocês é um discurso de que uma amiga minha me lembrou. Acho super relevante para entender como receber e guardar revelação pessoal, e não só os afazeres e os não-afazeres. Focaliza especialmente na natureza delicada do Espírito, e como podemos eliminar certas coisas que impeçam que recebamos inspiração Dele para a nossa vida. Isso na verdade tem a ver com gravar minhas placas...kkk. Discurso: Como Como Obter Revelação e Inspiração para a Vida Pessoal, pelo E. Scott

Bem, gente, é isso por enquanto! Espero que estejam bem! Tem muitas outras coisas que aprendi, mas vou ter que fazer mais tempo na próxima semana para caber. Sempre se desgastem em correr atrás do que o Pai Celestial já tem revelado para vocês, guardando cada lição e tentando acompanhar o melhor que puderem! Orem, estudem, escrevam no diário...e mais importantemente, façam metas e as acompanhem.

Seu amigo amoroso,

-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home