Monday, April 14, 2014

Outfitting for the Battle/Equipar para a Batalha

Well, my friends. Here I am, almost bedtime and still haven't written this post (in this case, translated, since I type in Portuguese first ;) ). I have a lot to say, and it's just for you.

I have learned a lot of things in the last weeks, though the last week was a lot of running around. It's hard to maintain my balance like I did a few weeks ago because the work just keeps on getting greater. I still haven't gotten to my limit, but I'm gonna have to think about redoing my planning so I can do everything I need to, including updating you guys.

One of the first news items I have is that my brother went to his last interview for his mission application. I'm so happy that now he's just waiting for the call to come back from Salt Lake. He actually got around to asking me about what he should pack for when he goes on his mission. He's taking it seriously now. Whoo! Now my broher seems to be changing a bit. :) I'm gonna support him however I can, for there's no worthier purpose for human beings than than trying to present them the restored gospel in the latter days. (Alma 24:17-18, D&C 18:10-16)

Also, there's a very special friend of mine that I got to know on my mission that's going on a mission, but in her case it'll be on Wednesday that she departs. She's called Veronica, and I was given the responsibility to take care of her public correspondence. Now it looks like I'm going to have TWO blogs to maintain...hoo boy. She will be serving in Campinas, São Paulo, from her native Brazil. When you pray, please remember her!

As I posted in greater detail last week, there was a reunion with President and Sister Gonzaga, who were my mission presidency on the Brazil Maceió mission. I'm grateful for this! There was also General Conference, and I received some specific impressions from the general tone of the discourses. It started right with E. Holland, "The Cost - and Blessings - of Discipleship". This gave a very sober perspective, like Elder Holland always does when he speaks with that fire he's used to. I adored this talk, especially because of the following:
Sadly enough, my young friends, it is a characteristic of our age that if people want any gods at all, they want them to be gods who do not demand much, comfortable gods, smooth gods who not only don’t rock the boat but don’t even row it, gods who pat us on the head, make us giggle, then tell us to run along and pick marigolds. Talk about man creating God in his own image! Sometimes—and this seems the greatest irony of all—these folks invoke the name of Jesus as one who was this kind of “comfortable” God. Really?
It's quite strong, exactly the way I like it. And you missionaries will understand exactly what he's saying there. E. Holland says that we shouldn't imagine a "comfortable" discipleship. As I considered what he said in the devotional that he gave at UVU (my college) a few weeks ago, this highlights the importance of our having the willingness to get outside of our comfort zone, making genuine efforts and not expecting God to give us too much slack. The devil's plan was our doing nothing so that we could be like God - just obligated to obey everything, no matter what we did. It was Christ who volunteered to fulfill the central part of God's proposition to really change us. E. Torgan, during an MBM mission tour, also said that "Conversion is something that hurts." It really is! I like to say that we shouldn't be afraid to feel hurt...because many times getting a little hurt is exactly the price we simply have to pay in order to learn what we need to....e to be like what Heavenly Father needs us to be.

E. Andersen spoke of spiritual whirlwinds carrying us without noticing (LOL, one trailer on top of another). E. Oaks firmly declared the position of the Church on marriage and on the Priesthood in regard to women (a growing political problem here, and bold considering that the "Ordain Women" movement was outside trying to get in). E. Nelson got much more serious than I'm used to seeing him, speaking of how we need to be firm in allowing our religion to shine through without recoiling. Even the First Presidency message in the Ensign of this month talks about our being anchored, so that we resist currents dangerous to the spirit. And these are only the highlights of the theme I'm feeling from Conference.

Let me see if I can phrase it this way...Was it just me, or did somebody else feel like we're preparing for a battle?

I guess that's not a surprise, considering how the political climate is heating up here. But I see that the line is being drawn between right and wrong, and the leaders that Christ placed to help us can't ignore now the several issues that have been coming up recently. I'm anxious to see this part of the history of the Church, where the truth shall be declared without room for interpretation. I'm grateful, because before all of this there was Christ's example, and He did the same thing. But it wasn't just for His Church, but for all of us. I think about how He must have been loving, unwilling to flinch from what He knew to be true, even dying for it. Do we have that same willingness? Are we ready to defend the truth when the occasion presents itself?

These questions currently perturb me. I'm not perfect with this, and I know it very well. Even here in Utah, this will be necessary to do my part, and I feel inadequate sometimes. I was trained for missionary work, and there's a lot to do here. I want to be more like Him, and show how I love Him through developing my love for other people (1 John 4:20-21). I sincerely hope that we're prepared for the battles up ahead, wherever we may be called to serve. They're certainly gonna wear us out and make us think of giving up if we're not careful to nourish our faith and hope. Let's keep it up until the end! D&C 19:15-19.

As always, don't forget to write, alright? I want to hear from you, and I long to hear what's new and of your successes and lessons. I love y'all! Don't ever give up, always enduring to the end!

-Erich
Bom, meus amigos. Eis-me aqui, quase a hora de dormir e ainda não escrevi esta postagem. Tenho muito a dizer, e é para vocês mesmos.

Aprendi muito nestas últimas semanas, se bem que a última mesma tem sido corrido demais. É difícil manter o equilíbrio como mantinha há algumas semanas atrás por causa da carga de trabalho que continua aumentando. Ainda não cheguei ao meu limite, mas vou ter que pensar em refazer meu planejamento para poder fazer tudo que preciso, inclusive os atualizar.

Uma das primeiras notícias que tenho a dar é que meu irmão foi para a última entrevista dele para a aplicação da missão. Fico tão feliz que agora ele só está esperando o chamado voltar da cidade de Salt Lake. Ele chegou a me perguntar sobre o que ele deve arrumar nas malas para quando ele for para a missão. Ele está levando isto a sério agora. Uhu! Agora meu irmão parece estar mudando um pouquinho. :) Vou apoiar ele de todo jeito possível, pois não tem propósito mais digno do ser humano do que tentar o apresentar o evangelho restaurado nos últimos dias. (Alma 24:17-18, D&C 18:10-16)

Também, uma amiga minha muito especial que conheci da missão agora se vai à missão, mas no caso dela será na quarta-feira mesmo que ela parte. Ela se chama da Veronica, e me foi dado a responsabilidade de cuidar das correspondências públicas dela. Agora parece que eu vá ter DOIS blogs para manter...aiaiai. Ela vai servir em Campinas, SP. Quando for orar, se lembrem dela favor!

Como postei com maiores detalhes na última semana, houve um reencontro com Presidente e Sister Gonzaga, quem foram a minha presidência de missão na Missão Brasil Maceió. Sou muito grato por isso! Também houve a Conferência Geral, e recebi algumas impressões específicas da intonação geral dos discursos. Começou bem com o E. Holland, "O Custo — e as Bênçãos — do Discipulado". Isso deu uma perspectiva muito sóbria, como o Élder Holland sempre dá quando falar com o fogo com que ele se acostuma. Adorei este discurso, especialmente pelo seguinte:
Infelizmente, meu jovens amigos, uma característica de nossa época é que, quando as pessoas desejam algum deus, querem que sejam deuses que não exijam muito, deuses confortáveis, deuses suaves, que não apenas não incomodam, mas também não fazem nada, deuses que nos afagam a cabeça e nos fazem rir e depois nos dizem para ir correr e apanhar flores.
São como o homem criando Deus a sua própria imagem! Às vezes — e essa parece ser a maior ironia de todas — essas pessoas invocam o nome de Jesus como alguém que foi esse tipo de Deus “confortável”. Será mesmo?
É muito forte, exatamente do jeito que gosto. E vocês missionários entenderão exatamente o que ele diz aqui. O E. Holland diz que não devemos imaginar um discipulado "confortável". Ao considerar o que ele disse no devocional que ele deixou na UVU (minha faculdade) há algumas semanas, isso realça a importância de termos a disposição de ficarmos afora de nossa "zona de conforto", de nos esforçarmos e não esperarmos que Deus nos dê moleza. O plano do diabo foi a gente fazer nada mesmo para ser como Deus - só obrigado para obedecer a tudo, independente do que fizêssemos. Foi Cristo quem se voluntariou para cumprir a parte central da proposta de Deus para nos mudar mesmo. O E. Torgan, durante um mission tour da MBM, disse também que "A conversão é algo que dói." É mesmo! Gosto de falar eu mesmo que não devemos ter medo de doer...porque muitas vezes o doer é o preço que simplesmente temos que pagar para aprender o que precisamos...e sermos o que o Pai Celestial precisa que nos tornemos.

O E. Andersen falou dos redemoinhos espirituais nos levarem sem reconhecermos (kkk, o trailer encima do outro). E. Oaks firmemente declarou a posição da Igreja no casamento e no sacerdócio em relação às mulheres, (um problema político crescente aqui, e ousado considerando que o movimento de "Ordenar Mulher" estava afora tentando entrar mesmo). O E. Nelson ficou muito mais sério do que com quê me acostumo ver, falando de como precisamos ficar firmes em deixar transparecer as doutrinas da nossa religião sem recuar. Até mesmo a mensagem da Primeira Presidência na Liahona deste mês fala de ficarmos ancorados, para resistirmos aos correntes perigosos ao espírito. E estes são somente os destaques de uma tema que eu estou sentindo da Conferência.

Deixa-me ver se posso frasear assim...Fui só eu, ou mais alguém sentiu que estamos nos preparando para uma batalha feroz no futuro?

Suponho que não há surpresa, considerando o clima político que está acalentando aqui. Mas vejo que a linha está sendo colocada entre o certo e errado, e os líderes que Cristo pôs para nos ajudar agora não podem ignorar as várias questões que têm se levantado recentemente. Anseio esta parte da história da Igreja, aonde a verdade será declarada sem espaço para entender mal. Sou grato, porque antes de tudo isso havia o exemplo que Cristo dava, e Ele fez a mesma coisa. Mas não era só para a Igreja Dele, mas para todos nós. Fico pensando em como Ele deveria ter sido amoroso, indisposto para recuar daquilo que sabia ser verdade, até mesmo para morrer. Será que temos esta mesma disposição? Será que estamos prontos para defender quando a ocasião se apresentar?

Estas perguntas me perturbam atualmente. Não sou perfeito nisso, e sei muito bem disso. Mesmo aqui no Utah, isto será necessário para fazer a minha parte, e me sinto inadequado às vezes. Fui treinado para a obra missionária, e tem muita a fazer aqui. Eu quero ser mais como Ele, e mostrar como amo Ele por meio de desenvolver meu amor para outras pessoas (1 João 4:20-21). Espero sinceramente que estejamos preparados para as batalhas na frente, aonde formos chamados a servir. Certamente nos desgastarão e nos darão pensamento de desistir se não tivermos cuidado de nutrir a nossa fé e esperança. Vamos até o fim! D&C 19:15-19

Como sempre, não se esqueçam de escrever, tá? Quero ouvir de vocês, e anseio saber de notícias e seus sucessos e lições. Amo vocês! Jamais desistam, sempre perseverando até o fim!

-Erich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some loves, yeah?

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home